Monday, July 28, 2014

We have a hole! (and a new puppy...)

The last week has been kind of crazy. My sister flew in from California on the 19th and we picked up our new puppy, Bear, on the 20th. Since then life has been busy! I've been spending a lot of time with my sister, and I've been on potty training duty. I was able to take off three days from work so I camped out at my parents house for the past 5 days which made things easier.

Since I only see my sister once a year, and she won't see our house until a year after it's done, I wanted to take her to see our homesite. We decided the family would head down there on Wednesday and coincidentally my boyfriend got the call that they started excavating the property that day! We got there and we had a hole for our house! They definitely hadn't finished digging at that point so it was more like a shallow hole in the shape of our house haha! Our PM, Mr. Roof, said we should have a foundation poured by Friday. I'm not sure if he meant Friday as in July 25th or this upcoming Friday.. But regardless, I've never been so happy to see a hole in the ground! We ran into another guy while we were there and he was really friendly. I think he's the second man in command around there. He humored my mom and let her walk around the development, even though there was construction going on everywhere, and even let us into the model home (which isn't quite finished yet). The model has white cabinets, and I LOVED them so once again I'm so happy I picked white cabinets!
Our Lot all excavated and ready to go!

I also ended up buying a couch! In my last post I mentioned that we were getting a red couch from family friends. We're still going to take that couch, but I think we'll put it in the dining/living room instead. My boyfriend has designated that room the place for our Christmas tree so the red couch will compliment that nicely! haha!

I ended up getting this couch from the Habitat for Humanity Re-store (I know.. that's all I talk about anymore! I have a problem!). The one I go to the most is the Wilmington, DE store and they recently partnered up with the La-Z-Boy warehouse in Newark, DE. Every Tuesday they will be going down to the warehouse, and La-Z-Boy is donating furniture that either has a few things wrong with it (a small rip, scratch, stain, etc) that would prevent them from selling it new for full price or was just order incorrectly or by mistake. Every piece I have seen from there so far looks perfect .. I can't even find what may/may not be wrong with them. We ended up getting this sectional for $1000. Right now it's on sale for about $2300 and retails for around $2700 so it was a great deal and its exactly what I wanted! I wanted a tan sectional with deep comfy cushions and that's exactly what I got! So excited!


Here's La-Z-Boy's picture on their website ..
I've been officially banned by my family from going to this store for awhile. Everyone in my family agreed the couch was a great deal but now I have no money so I can't go back! haha! Oh well. I love my couch and I have plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied! Once we have money again I'll definitely go back and look for a recliner chair. They had two leather recliners there that were so nice! They were being sold for $400 and $500 and they retail anywhere from $700-$1000 so not a bad deal! I don't know if I could stomache buying a chair for $500 though.
 
I also did a few more DIY projects. I seriously love Chalk Paint. I painted some Mason Jars to use as containers in the bathroom for cotton balls, q-tips, and my make-up brushes. I LOVE how they turned out. So cute. I also painted this old media chest I had in my room growing up. I forgot to take a before picture but it was all black. It will be perfect to put a TV on in our bedroom though especially since there are blues and greys in our quilt.
 
 
Mason Jars - Using them for cotton balls, q-tips, and make-up brushes in the bathroom

Media cabinet - Used to be all black
 
 
Here are some pictures of my puppy Bear (and Loki), because he's too cute not to share!
 
Loki and Bear - We had a photo-shoot, because I'm obsessed with them both, and they run my life

Bear snoozing away - Loki loves this sleeping position too

Bear in the car on the way home! He's so freakin' cute!


Hope everything is going smoothly with everyone else!
 

13 comments:

  1. So exciting! My wife and I felt the same when when our hole was dug.

    I wish they offered the Palermo in our development. We went through a Palermo model in another development and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how excited you get from a pile of dirt or a hole in the ground! I've just heard that once you break ground time flies!

      Yea, we really like the Palermo. We looked into the Florence but they don't offer it in our development. We also seriously considered the Venice, but in the end we went with the Palermo. The Florence is a beautiful home! I can't wait to see your house all finished!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyyyyy for a hole!!!! I know you guys are super excited! I'm hoping I'm posting the same thing next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so excited!! I hope you are posting the same thing next week! Waiting is the hardest part ever!

      Delete
  4. Woohoo for progress! That's so exciting to see the dirt move! I hope are right behind you next week!
    Also, we have gotten some great deals at the Habitat ReStore. How awesome that they partnered with LazBoy (and how lucky for you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very exciting to see dirt move! Now the fun part begins! I hope they get you guys started asap!

      I love the Habitat Restore! I have gotten some really great pieces there! The LaZBoy thing is awesome! I was so happy when I heard that they were starting to work with them. Brand new stuff at a huge discount?? I'll take it!

      Delete
  5. I am super excited for you! You know I will be tuned in for all the fun stuff. Bear is soooo cute! Great come-up on the furniture as well! Can we say "good deal"? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eboni! We're so excited! I hope they sell those other townhomes quickly for you so your process can start ASAP! And thank you! Bear is a cutie! That's how he manages to get away with driving me crazy with potty training and chewing!

      We do both like a good deal! haha! I couldn't pass the couch up! Should I have spent $1000 right now?? Probably not, buuut I couldn't pass it up! It's such a comfortable couch! I love it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the kind words of hope! I think waiting is the worse part thus far...but I guess it's just part of it! Oh the days of training and chewing! Our little Diesel was the cutest terror of our lives. From walls to eyeglasses, everything in between was destroyed! Boy we were happy when he passed that stage! LOL

      Hey...you can't be mad at a good deal! You have to act on it ASAP. Not to mention it was for the house so that's an automatic pass for spending! :-)

      Delete
    3. Waiting is absolutely the hardest part! I'm glad Diesel grew out of that stage! I feel like we'll never be able to trust our guys alone! haha!

      Delete
  6. I did not know there was a store in Wilmington- that is only about 30 min from me! I know what I'm doing this weekend!! Adorable puppy! Puppies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The Wilmington one is really nice. There's also one Folsom, PA and Kennet Square, PA. If you google Habitat for Humanity restore they have a website that can show you all locations.

      Puppies are the best! We don't have kids so our puppies are our kids! haha!

      Delete