Thursday, August 14, 2014

Preparing for the Extra Stuff

First, a tiny rant. I wrote earlier this week about how our PM was supposed to call us last week on Thursday because he was off on Friday, but he didn't. Then we just figured he'd call us Monday. No call. We haven't spoken to him since my boyfriend said something to him about the deck not being Trex, and how that's BS since we were told in writing it was Trex. Well he told us he'd look up some reviews for the decking they use because we can't find anything on it (GeoDeck is the brand), and so far we haven't heard from him at all. Almost 2 weeks now with no call. Kind of frustrating, but what are you gonna do? He has to call us at some point!

Anywayssss..... moving on to happier topics

We have finally realized how fast this process is moving now! We figured it's time to start picking out our washer and dryer and our fridge. We also know we need to figure out how we want to pack and move (a lot of our stuff is at my parent's house which is an hour away from our current apartment and the new house). I've looked up a ton of lists on moving tips so we're starting to get ready.

Most of it has been pretty easy. Our landlord was actually really chill about us leaving. They gave us no hassle and told us just to let them know, a couple weeks ahead of time, when we plan to leave. We were thinking they would force us to go on a month to month lease (our lease is up in September) until we move, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. I honestly think it's because my boyfriend has lived there for the past 5 years, so I feel like they're just happy he stayed that long.

Some things, however, have proven to be more difficult:

1. The space for our refridgerator
We were told during our preconstruction meeting that the space for our fridge is 30" wide. I didn't really think much of it .. until I started to look up fridges online. We really want a french door refridgerator with an ice/water dispenser on the door. Well, apparently, almost all of those are around 35" wide or more. I could only find one french door fridge with a water dispenser and it doesn't even dispense ice! I know this is a total "first world problem," but it's still frustrating. I took to the blog world and found a few Palermo people with the type of fridge we want that are around 35" wide so I kind of think our PM told us the wrong measurement. I hope so ...

Any Palermo builders out there know how wide the space for their fridge is????

2. Our kitchen table
I am supposed to build our kitchen table with my dad. Now that I have completely taken over their home with my furniture for the new house, there isn't enough room to get to my dad's table saws .. Whoops! I'm sure we'll figure something out, though. I would like to have it done ahead of time because a) Moving it on our moving truck would make our lives much easier than borrowing a pick-up truck from someone later to move it, b) call me crazy, but I feel like we will want/need a kitchen table and c) we already have so much stuff to do and build and paint when we move in that I know I will not feel like taking on another project in the heat of the move.

Other than that I bought curtains for the morning room, living room, and our bedroom. Now I just have to finish painting some of the furniture I'm re-doing, reupholster that couch, and some other crafty projects. We're getting SUPER excited now! I can't wait to go down to the house this weekend and see the progress!

BTW - Thanks to everyone who answered my painting question! We still have no idea what we want to do. I think we may just wait because I will be sooo pissed if I can't blend the paint and have to re-do the entire wall! haha!


 

13 comments:

  1. I HATE the avoidance when they lie. It's the worst part of the entire process. I would call him and call him out! Don't let it slide. You have it in writing so that makes it even easier. I would be on social media blasting them. You will get your trex then!

    I have to start shopping for appliances. I'm actually looking forward to the washer/dryer. I LOVED my LG top loader/HE machine in our old house. So much so I wanted to take it... But that would have been a tremendous pain. So I'm pretty sure we will just get the same model. As for fridge I'm torn... Why is it so hard? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's awful! I don't get why they can't just admit they made a mistake and give us something to make up for it. I mean, even a few extra outlets or light rough-ins that cost them next to nothing would be nice! I thought about going the social media route. My boyfriend is going to try and tackle all of this today and we actually have the SR and PM's managers email so that's an option too!

      I was actually looking at an LG top loader for our washing machine! It has great ratings and was priced well too! The fridge decision is so hard! There are so many! I've never bought a fridge either so I have no idea was a reasonable price is! haha!

      Delete
  2. I hope things get worked out with the deck. That is incredibly frustrating. As for the refrigerator.. I would think it would be larger than 30" especially if what you are finding online is generally larger than that. Hopefully a simple mistake. :)

    I would DEFINITELY try to get the table done ahead of time. That way it is easy to move in and you will have a perfect place to sit down, take a break, and start cooking those meals in YOUR home :) No hesitation and no thinking "I have to make this table" and before you know it, every excuse comes out and you end up buying one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It is really frustrating! It's not really about the fact that we're not getting Trex, because I'm sure this other brand is fine, but they made a mistake and now are just wanting us to forget about it.

      I'm thinking he just told us the wrong dimensions and meant to say 40" because 30" is just so small!

      I definitely do need to get the table done BEFORE the move! It will make my life so much easier, and you're right. We would just end up buying one if I didn't do it before we moved! lol!

      Delete
  3. I answered on my post, but you'll actually get a notification if I leave it here :)

    Our fridge space is ~39" wide by 33" deep. 30" just makes no sense - maybe he meant 40"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks so much! I'm thinking he may have meant 40" too! That's such a relief! haha!

      Delete
  4. Hi LaurLew! Our fridge opening is 39". My best guess is your PM is having a blonde moment!! Our fridge space was on the plans for 40". Our PM gave the advice that if you buy ahead, even for things like blinds and stuff, wait til you measure, they never come out exact due to shimming, spackling, etc. it was actually good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie! I'm so glad to hear that the fridge opening is a normal size! haha! That's good advice! I think we'll probably go out the date of settlement and buy ours. I think the BF wants to finance it but we don't want to do that until the after settlement. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. We need to get moving on our appliance purchases too! I'll be sure to blog this week about what we are considering!
    Our PM and SR both said to wait to buy a fridge to be able to measure and make sure it would fit. However, on the Rome the opening is huge, so I'm not concerned about the fridge fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to prepare for isn't there? It all goes so fast so it's hard to keep up!

      I'm sure you'll be fine with anything in the Rome! Our model home is a Rome and the kitchen is so big and beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Hi, just wondering where u are located. We just broke ground and we were to.d decks were not possible. Would you mind adding me to your roll? Www.happily ever rushed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Just for a little anonymity, we don't want to put our exact location but we are in the North East. I haven't heard of any community not offering decks. I think it all depends on the community and I know a deck is kind of a "custom" option in our community since it's not something you can pick off of the option list. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  7. Just wondering what you decided and how it's working out.

    ReplyDelete